Academy Street, as we know it today, was originally part of St. Albans when it was first surveyed in 1798 as seen in the map below at the S17 Lot of William Moor at what is roughly now the corner of Commercial Street & Academy Street. The citizens of this area of St. Albans actually called this part "Fairhaven" in the 1810 Census. Several of the town lines, including the Academy Street area, were changed beginning in 1821. Some of these proposed changes caused great debate in town with Dr. Calvin Blake proclaiming in one Town Meeting to "Give it all back to St. Albans!" The town line debate was brought up several times at Town Meetings between 1812 & 1845 until finally in August of 1846, the Maine Legislature approved an act brought to them by the citizens of Hartland to change the Hartland-St. Albans line to be at its current location just east of the future Libby Homestead. The petition noted the existing line cut up the village, made it difficult to properly tax and made schooling a problem. The document ended by noting the proposed line change, "Would enlarge the power of doing good, augment the facilities of business, swell the population, give spirit & vivacity, cause a union of exertion, contribute to diminish jealously, increase happiness & prosperity and produce efforts salutary and desirable." This early town line designation is also the reason why "St. Albans Academy" took its original name before becoming Hartland Academy.