Our Elm Street Page is still under construction. Please check back as we continue to update.
Mary Isabelle (Linn) Fuller (1856-1933) is the daughter of Archibald & Grace (Wilson) Linn. In 1874, she married Henry Clay Fuller (1854-1903); son of Sarah (Underwood) & James Fuller, Jr. Following Archibald's death in 1889, Mary and her 2 surviving siblings, Thomas Archibald Linn & Robert Wilson Linn, operated the newly formed Linn Manufacturing Company with her husband Henry Fuller serving as President. Henry & Mary lived at his Uncle Josiah Fuller's house on Elm Street before building their new house which became known as the "Fuller Mansion" across the street soon after 1896. (See Linn Family, Fuller Family, Blake Street, Commercial Street and Woolen Mill & Tannery)
Soon after they moved into the house, Henry was struck down by Tuberculosis in 1903 at the age of 43 years old leaving Mary to raise their remaining unmarried and surviving 2 sons.
After the last of her sons married in 1919, Mary remained in the house until the early 1930s when illness forced her to move to Quincy, Massachusetts into the home of her son, James Elmo Fuller, and his wife, Bertha (Cherrington) Fuller. Mary passed away in Quincy in 1933.
Following Mary's death, James & Bertha Fuller moved into the house and are listed as the owners on the 1943 map. James passed away in 1947 and Bertha remained in the house until her death in 1968. Hartland locals recall Bertha giving piano lessons on the pair of Grand Pianos she had in the 2 front rooms. The house was purchased by Linwood & Marion (Ireland) Vanadestine and converted into a Boarding Home for the Mentally Challenged for many years. Currently, in 2018 it stands abandoned. (See Joseph Emery Family)
Located on the corner of Elm Street & Academy Street, the lot itself had been reserved for church grounds since the first settlers arrived. The original building was erected in 1842 by Sherman Stone of Ripley and for a while combined with the St. Albans Baptist Church. It was known then as the St. Albans Village Church but problems soon arose and there was a split. On October 27, 1847 a meeting was called and it formally organized as the Hartland Baptist Church. It the only dedicated church building in the Village until 1883 when the Methodist Church was built on Commercial Street. (See Hartland Churches)
Overcrowding of elementary grade students had been an issue for several years. To temporarily alleviate the problem, 4th, 5th & 6th Graders living in Hartland Village attended school in the 1940s at rooms rented to the town by Harry Randlett over his Hartland Hardware Store on Main Street while the younger students remained at the Ireland School on Pleasant Street. In 1950, construction began on a new Hartland Consolidated Elementary School on Elm Street at the large lot formerly owned by James Fuller, Jr. (See Pleasant Street & Main Street)
Incorporated in Hartland in 1903, the Hartland & St Albans Telephone Company was first located at the new Elm Street home of founder, Dr. Charles A. Moulton. Dr. Moulton first established the St Albans & Hartland Telephone Company before moving to Hartland and changing the name. (Items donated by Marilyn Carr. See Hartland & St Albans Telephone Company & Moulton Family)