According to notes written by Hartland Librarian Mrs. Mary (Coston) Smith, the hotel was originally built by Horace M. Stewart in 1827 . It originally served as a hotel and tavern for stage coach travelers with a large livery stable on the Elm Street side of the building. In the earliest known photo of the building below, the stage coach and hotel guests pose for a picture.
In the photo below taken from the Baptist Church Steeple looking down Elm Street, the facade of the Hartland House is seen to the right with its large Livery Stable next to it about 1877.
After standing for some 170+ years, the former Hartland House was razed following its purchase by Bangor Savings Bank in October of 1999.
Following its demolition in 1999, the former Hartland House lot and the remaining area of Warren Square, except for the Bandstand, were replaced with a new branch of the Bangor Savings Bank.
In 2016, Bangor Savings Bank closed its Hartland location. Lifelong Hartland resident Myrtle (Lovely) Marble purchased the building and lot in 2017 donating it to the town for the specific purpose of locating the Hartland Town Office at the location.