Hubbard Avenue didn't exist in the early days of the town's history. John Stinchfield, Sr (who in 1815 married Maria Moor, daughter of William Moor) was likely the first to build a home on the river side of the lot with their driveway leading onto Main Street. By 1860, his son, John Stinchfield, Jr, lived in the house and operated the Carding Mill which had been built on the lot’s corner at Main Street. John Jr died the following year in 1861.
By 1883, the Stinchfield Homestead had become home to the Fairgrieve Family who also took over the Carding Mill business. Also by this time, the Linn Woolen Mill Company had purchased the river side of the lot behind the Fairgrieve home while the remaining inland portion of the lot was then owned by Caroline Prescott (daughter of Sewell Prescott, Jr). Miss Prescott also owned and lived in the future Asa Ladd home on Main Street.
No other houses stood on the lot by 1896 but by the early 1900s, at least a couple houses were built on the inland side of the lot behind the Furbush/Harrington house extending the house’s former driveway from Main Street back to them. One of these houses belonged to Ensign S. Hubbard who had bought the store on the corner of the avenue at Main Street (known later, among other names, as Lewis' Market) in the late 1880s and operated it right up until his death in 1922 at 80 years old. (See Main Street Page for further details) It is still unknown at this point exactly when the 2 extended driveways met to form the familiar horseshoe we know today but for many years the two entryways were known respectively as Fairgrieve Street entering from the river side and Hubbard Avenue from the other side.
Soon after the American Woolen Mill Company took over the bankrupt Linn Woolen Mill Company in 1916, they built 3 additional houses and a garage for mill management employees alongside the river beside the former Fairgrieve house.
The 3 AWM built houses, garage, the former Fairgrieve house and the former Caroline Prescott house would later be sold to the public as part of the 1932 Great Auction of AWM (and former Linn Woolen Mill) Real Estate Holdings. (See Woolen Mill & Tannery Page for further details)
The former Carding Mill building, part of many of the former AWM properties kept by the Hartland Mills Company, was sold in 1937 to the new Hartland Tanning Company as part of the deal with Meyer Kirstein but was later traded for the future Main Street Parking Lot. The building was in turn given to the Hartland Volunteer Fire Department and became the location of their new Fire Hall in 1941.
In 1955 (?), Hubbard Avenue was recognized by the town as a public street and named for Ensign S. Hubbard.