Following his 1804 purchase of Corinna, Dr. John Warren induced Captain Joseph Ireland of North Newport and his nephew, Daniel Ireland, to erect a mill in what is now Corinna Village around 1810. The mill was for both grist and lumber. The local settlers paid for the grinding in grain and lumber hauled on "hoopling sleds" with supplies for the mill brought on horseback from Bangor. After two years, the Irelands sold their rights to the mill to William Moor of Hartland and exchanged several properties in their respective towns. William and his wife Sally (daughter of Abraham Moor) eventually removed to Corinna with their 6 youngest children while the 2 eldest children, Maria and James, remained in Hartland. Ireland had married Olive Moor, (sister of Sally Moor) and came to Hartland following the deal. Joseph & Olive are both buried at his namesake cemetery, Ireland Cemetery, along with her parents. Based on maps, Ireland likely owned most of the land where the cemetery & school are located.
The Ireland School (aka Pleasant Street School) was built on land owned by Joseph Ireland around 1820 and remained a schoolhouse for 130 years.
In the Fall of 1950, the new Hartland Consolidated Elementary School had been completed on Elm Street and classes began there. (See Elm Street Page for further details) The Ireland School building was then purchased from the town by the Hartland American Legion. The local Hartland chapter, which began in 1930, was first known as the Christopher G. Linn Post #141. Linn served in WWI with the 28th Army Infantry and died in 1926. Christopher is the son of Robert Wilson Linn, Sr and is the grandson of Archibald Linn. The Post's name was changed in 1951 to the Steeves-McCormack Post #141 in honor of two of Hartland's men who were Killed In Action in WWII; Norman Steeves and Donlin McCormack. The building was razed in 2003 and is currently a vacant lot.
H. C. Baxter & Brothers Canning Company was a prominent local business which began operations here in 1913 located on Outer Pleasant Street. Baxter consolidated their frozen operations in Corinna in the early 1960s and the property and buildings were purchased by the Irving Tanning Company to be used as their Annex. (See the Baxter Canning and Woolen Mill & Tannery Pages for further details)
On November 22, 2008 the Maine State Museum in Augusta opened their "At Home in Maine" Exhibit. Among the various displays are “Birney’s Bedroom” which includes toys, photos and personal items from the 1950s and 1960s donated by Birney & Dixie from their former Pleasant Street home. The bedroom is presented as it would have looked on Birney’s graduation evening from Hartland Academy in 1966 and depicts the theme of growing up and leaving home. Three generations of the Moore family lived in the house from 1923 through 2002.